Thursday, January 15, 2009

Graduation from D.U.I. --TOMORROW

So, I was too eager to get my license back and I came a day early. Tomorrow, is the day when things are back to normal and I can begin a new chapter.

Though while I was there, I was informed of yet another fine:

Failure to "surrender my license."

Excuse me? If I didn't "surrender my license" then I wouldn't have been using this embarrassing California Id card for the passed 3 months. And I KNOW that the cops took that away from me like taking a butcher knife away from a toddler.

I made some calls. Apparently, from the cops to the DMV to the Mandatory Actions Unit in Sacramento... something went wrong and my License card was never filed as turned in.

The fine: $22

In comparison to this whole extravaganza, 22 bucks is like pennies. But, it's the principle. DOn't fine me for your faulty "system."

I began day dreaming about how irrational I would become at the DMV tomorrow fighting for the "principle" of it.

==

Just for that I was majorly disheartened.

===

When people ask me what school I went to, I respond sheepishly : Berkeley. Trying to be as modest as possible. When people ask me why my license was suspended I respond confidently: DUI!

I wonder why that is. Is a DUI an accomplishment? After reflecting, I think I have really graduated from the DUI experience with some sort of mental growth. I think I came out of it with some retrospective insight on Life in general.

How much the system is flawed... how I am as a person dealing with things... how I learn to appreciate friends... how it is getting arrested... how others think about you... how to appreciate public transportation... searching for escape... finding comfort... depending on yourself.

Feeling dependant, weak, strong, righteous, offended, childish, mature, embarassed, proud, disappointed... everything.

...and that is an accomplishment.

With my final payment tomorrow: around 150 bucks. As a sort of certificate in a form of a license card.... I have graduated from something unique, unforgettable and never to be repeated again.

Thank you... please attend my graduate ceremony. BYOB. And Neil, you need to bring your BAC Detector.

2 comments:

dannie said...

oh boo! today was supposed to be the day. oh well congrats on tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

OMG! the system sucks! I think you should fight it! Thats $22, a tank of gas! You go beat the system Chris!