Friday, August 6, 2010

Yuppies at a Burlesque


@The Edison in Downtown LA.

I felt like a Yuppy with other young urban professionals looking to pay 12+ for cocktails.  Big Willie's Burlesque was amazing and what I call, Tasteful Stripping.  It was some schmuck's birthday so he stood awkwardly as the dancers unbuttoned his shirt and brushed a feather boa around his body.

I had some lady friends with me who joined me in a little Cha Cha and Swing dancing.  After they left, my gay boys and I did the twist on the dance floor. I was happy to be with friends who didn't mind dancing on a floor that was fully lit.  But wish I had a girlfriend who would always be my dance partner.

Relax, loosen your tie, shake your hips, hold my hand.  Feel the live music... don't think about work.  But we were yuppies, work talk is all we know.  We vented about our co-workers, our promotions, our hours...

Michael was with me.  We stole friendly kisses and hand holds in a space designated to those of more conventional life styles, but come on.  Prop 8 overturned!  I like testing my space. I like making people look over - through dancing funny or kissing a handsome boy who just got off work, but still looks like an Asian Hugh Jackman.

A friend told me I smelled like "man" that night.  I took this as a compliment and hope that "man" translate to good... hard working.. desirable.

Though I definitely do not look like Isaiah Mustafa I hope I can swan dive to the best night of your life.


No comments: