Monday, August 16, 2010

Victimize

Photo c/o Jimmy

Jimmy discovered Vista Hermosa Park next to our house while exploring our neighborhood during his quest for inspiration.  A park complete with manicured grass, fountain and small amphitheater.

The other day Jimmy and I chatted about victimizing oneself for sake of attention and pity from others.  I told Jimmy a story in which he gave a neutral reaction.  "I'm assuming by your response that you've heard worse," I told Jimmy.  He confirmed my theory.

My life isn't hard.  I haven't experienced hardship, but I find myself in a couple of instances where I point out how much life sucks... when it really doesn't.  "Well, you learned from it. You grew from it.  I'm not going to feel bad for you."  Jimmy responded something along those lines.  After all, I was telling a story about something that happened years ago.  I did not need consoling, I was telling the story for the 'wow' response. He continued to say that we have a choice, we have more control than we think we do and there is no reason to make ourselves the victim when the situation helped us develop as a person.  And besides, why do you want people to feel bad for you.  Why do you want people to see how weak you are and how you weren't able to control the outcome of the situation.

Life doesn't suck.  Just do it.

That's something I usually remind myself.  I hope it allows me to be drama-free as possible and positive.  I hope never to victimize myself.  I am in control of my life... and hope to make the right choices.

4 comments:

mich said...

i like this entry. stay positive!

P. said...

I love the picture! The composition is perfect. I like the little hill that matches the downtown skyline in the center.

Which part of your life that you felt bad about? I've been reading your blog religiously - and all I see is the story of typical spoiled asian kid.

letopho said...

@P That's my point. I haven't experienced much hardship to position myself as any victim. And even if I did, I would say it's an opportunity to become stronger from it.

What I was exactly talking about to Jimmy happened before I started the blog, in retrospect it was so trivial compared to the rest of the community/world. Chat with me, I wanna know your thoughts.

I'm very privileged. I agree with that, but I hope never to exude a sense of entitlement.

ChungkingExpressions said...

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!!! :]