Sunday, March 15, 2009

Music Genre

It's really hard to classify music because there's so much overlap... But I've created some personalized Music Genres in my iTunes. But maybe I'm getting too complicated.

Boybands - Backstreet, Nsync, 98 Degrees
Mellow White-ish Girl - Michelle Branch, Vanessa Carlton, Sara Bareilles
Brotha With Soul -Omarion, Ne-yo, Usher
Slutty Girl Groups - Danity Kane, Pussycat Dolls
Gay Bar - Bob Sinclar, Eric Prydz, September, Enur, Ida Corr
Club Hip-Hop - T-Pain, YingYang Twins, Sean Paul, Diddy
Boy with Guitar - Jason Mraz, John Mayer
Booty Shaking Black Girls - Cassie, Rihanna, Ciara
Good Girls Gone Naughty - Britney, Christina, Lindsey Lohan
Emo Rock - Panic! At the Disco, Fall Out Boy
Electronica - Imogen Heap, The Postal Service, MGMT
Latin - Enrique, Ricky Martin
Underground Hip-Hop - Songs by hip-hop artists that aren't mainstream but are used by dance crews and are really cool to listen to in the car
Hip-Pop - Timberland, Justin Timberlake, Nelly Fertado, Fergie


And when I don't know where they go... I put them in generics

Alternative, Rock, Hip-Hop, Oldies, Jazz

==

I'm having an issue with Rock and Alternative. I'm thinking of separating the songs by mood like. Angry Rock and Happy Rock.

==

I realize that I missed out on 90's R&B when Anthony was playing songs off his iPod and I didn't know any of it. I grew up with Alternative thanks to Alysia. :D.

==

My must have playlist is "Songs About Boys"... basically songs that remind me of particular boys in my life. That's actually my favorite playlist to listen to.

==

I need help with these songs/artists:
Mrs.Officer by Lil Wayne - Club Hip-Hop, R&B, Hip-Pop or just Hip-Hop?
Coldplay - Pop, Happy Rock, Alternative or just Rock?
P!nk - Rock, Good Girls Gone Naughty, or Angry Rock?
One Republic - Rock, Pop or Electronica maybe?
Leona Lewis - ... Defintely pop.. huh? yeah. Definitely. She doesn't make me feel mellow.
The Ting Tings - Electronica or Indie? I feel like a lot of Indie is Electronic sounding.

Maybe I should have a, Shopping Music genre?

3 comments:

dannie said...

mrs. officer is trash, just delete it :]
the tings tings is def...rock electro ish blah blah.

xb said...

You could always put Coldplay, Leona Lewis, and The Ting Tings in a genre called "British people are hard to place"...

letopho said...

i like the British Genre!