I've been a little obsessed with trying to a achieve the thick bang look that seems to be catching wind in the trend books. But my stringy Asian hair makes it a challenge... I even bought a flat iron to further manipulate the genes handed to me.
Oh How I Long to have white hair with subtle textures that allow for thickness and volume to cover my Tyra Banks forehead. And how I'm so tired of spikes that have folks mistaken me for DragonballZ... even though it's cool at times.
But then I found this-
Normal White Guy
Normal white guy with Asian Hair.
And I can only feel robbed because I assume that he has a yearning to be Asian ... that he doesn't like his roots and culture and goes the distance to manipulate his look so that he could feel welcome in a culture that he feels is better than his... I assume.
And now, I can only feel silly for wanting... for yearning, for showing hairdressers a picture a white guy in hopes that they can manage and manipulate the hair on my head so that I can look like the picture in my hand.
==
I am Asian, I have Asian hair... and spending more than 5 minutes to achieve some look that is not mine seems to be very ridiculous.
Sunday, March 29, 2009
I Am Not My Hair...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I feel your pain. I'm Filipino. I have the thick, frizzy, Islander hair. I spend about 15 minutes with a flat iron trying to make it look like I have Asian hair. Ironically, I can do the thick bang pretty well.
We should start a support group.
i like this post. i like the peace you've made with yourself.
i think we all should love our hair for what it CAN do not what it cannot.
mine only stays in a faux hawk. it never wants to lay flat.
heyyy i've been reading your blog for a month now. i really like it!
anyway.. ummm... good luck with your hair?
I'll keep posting comments from now on :)
Post a Comment