Last night my friends and I met up with Jimmy and his posse at "Mustache Monday's" at La Cita down the street from my house and I've discovered the joys of hipsterdom.
As I described it on my twitter, "It was like an ugly fashion show." The girls were cute, some had chunks of hair missing from their scalps. As they walked passed, Ern and I would say loudly, "CUUUTE" and point at them to make sure they knew we were talking about them.
The boys creatively dressed with suspenders, glasses they stole from their grandpa... one guy was wearing a matador jacket. Another dude was wearing a dressy vest... and nothing underneath. Like a systematic throw up of style. Drag queens were in random corners, some Japanese exchange students... it was people from all likes of the world.
Hair was big, experimental, random. It felt like I was in a competition to get noticed and the person who got the most judgments... won a prize.
Next time we come here Ern and I agreed to dress each other in ANYTHING we want... except fitted v-necks that should be saved for our WeHo uniform.
The music was amazing. I was surprised to see a packed dance floor on a Monday night and work was the last thing I was thinking about. I felt like dancing like I didn't care. My hip hop moves were thrown out the window and I just gyrated my body to the beats of this awesome eclectic DJ. I tried my best to look as ridiculous as possible because dancing "normally" was boring.
Electronica, Hip Hop, Pop... the different colors of music appealed to the different characters at the club. I loved it so much. But next time I'll be better prepared with more accessories, yes... accessories are key.
Jimmy warned me that Mustache Mondays is "very different and not just pretty boys" I exclaimed, "GOOD! I hate pretty boys!" Ern and I agreed that we found a lot of the kids there attractive because they were interesting and seemingly had more depth.
Jimmy was introducing me to his bf for a second time. We had already met at WeHo, but I didn't remember. He said, that we were introduced on one side of the street then when we crossed I said, "Jimmy.. why are are you talking to those strangers!?" Oops. His bf wasn't very happy I forgot him within a span of 20 seconds. That takes a lot of skill.
At the end of the night I went up to this one girl and said to her, "you are such a good dancer.. you are making me straight curious!" She got all flattered and I walked away.
Next, Jimmy and friends are going to go to a black club. After the awesome ugly marathon of counter culture, we were craving something with swagger. YES! to experiencing different venues of life. YES! to complimenting strangers.. and YES! to meeting new friends through Tumblr. :]
Mad love..

Wednesday, January 13, 2010
I Enjoy being a Wannabe Hipster
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
looks like a cool club! i love freaks and ugly people. they are my peeps! btw: nice glasses!
i like your clubmaster frames! i miss clubbing with you. funness
"and point at them to make sure they knew we were talking about them."
ahhhhhahaha!
beautiful!
fucking hipster.
miss you.
Hahaha good times <3
I'm very excited for a thug night out. Maybe I should just wear jeans and a wife-beater for that occasion haha
"I tried my best to look as ridiculous as possible because dancing "normally" was boring!"
I'm in blog love with you Letopho. hehe.
Post a Comment