Tuesday, December 4, 2007

NSU Voices Melts My Heart

While driving to work, I looked over the NSU Program that I didn't get a chance to read.

I absolutely loved the show. Every second I was squealing. I felt bad for the people sitting around me because I had to fan myself down after every skit/dance/monologue.

I love culture shows.

Why? Because it's an opportunity for people who have talent to showcase it. I was blown away by people who seemed shy and reserved, but on stage spoke with power and pristine.
And I was so proud and amazed.

I was sad though because everyone from my generation was in Japan. There were some people here and there: Azusa on stage, Amy with her boyfriend. But the two most important people to me in my class were not: Tofu and Vanessa. But yes, their love was in spirit.

If Chris were there he would have two things to say: 1. the program was on glossy paper. When he suggested it our year, I said NO because I thought it looked tacky. Well, they did it this year and damn, it looks so good. Sorry Tofu, my bad! And 2. They did sort of an Iron Chef Skit, which was Chris' idea, but left out one main point: The traditional group was supposed to FAN their rice, while the modern group used an electric fan! LOL! But of course it wasn't Chris' skit, because if it was, there would have been a Baachan in drag! :D

But from that skit I could not stop laughing at these lines that the Iron Chef said when she was judging the Spam Musubi made by the more assimilated group:

The spam tastes of the salty winds of the camps...Yet the rice is like the soft cushion of the future!& the seaweed reminds me of the vaaaaaast Pacific, dividing the Issei from their families in Japan.So much HISTORY and DEPTH!This is the MOST delicious dish I have tasted in ALL my years!It brings tears to my eyes.

What stood out the most were the Monologues. Sally moved me as she is "NOT satisfied with the NOW that she sees." Jaclyn & Keisuke touched my heart when they shared their origins. I remember last semester declaring Jaclyn's unique background! You guys! She's from Peru! This is IMPORTANT!!! And Lyell made me melt when he said, "Being Japanese American does NOT make me less Queer.. and Being Queer does NOT make me less Japanese American." His words hit me like a ton of bricks and his sexy points grew 10 fold.

The dances where hot and J.Crew was on fire. The piece had substance as it demonstrated a struggle against Oppression. Man, it was difficult, but it looked really amazing. I love J.Crew.

This year's show really slathered on the question of defining a community. By hearing different Voices it is apparent that the Japanese American community is a home for anyone who excepts it regardless of experiences or background. NSU celebrates diversity. NSU celebrates love for human experiences. NSU sets the standard... for real.

==================================================================
Afterward, I stole one of the props and took pictures with everyone. I felt a bit obnoxious, but I guess that's just me. I was sad there was no large group photo, but being there and remembering is good enough. My girls make me proud: Miwa, Colleen, Sally, Kim, Katie, Hana, Corrie, Jaclyn, Azu, Krystin, Katrina, Amy, Eulanca, Asaki and Sara. NSU is built on STRONG FEMALES. Like Lisa, Kozens, Kim and Lori... and I would have it no other way.

Nick, Haruka, Monyrith, Vince and I had a beer at Blakes like real alumni. I miss it all. I sat next to Dina during the show and we shared mutual amusement. They kept the line, "Do you like movies!" Which made me REALLY happy because it's been a line in the show every year since 2002. But Hiro did not end up with the girl during that skit which surprised me! But also made me happy because.. you know what? It's been done before.

I live for stuff like this. I live for culture, for pride, for awareness. I live to hear other people's stories and be surrounded by people who I love. I feel selfish, because I always want more. I want more culture shows. I want more Monologues. I want you to showcase your talent and blow me away. You may not think you're the best, but everyone has SOMETHING to offer. Live life and share it with others... don't let your story be silent.


2 comments:

Rick Kitagawa said...

Fuck, I missed the show...

And the kept the "Do you like movies" line?

Un-frickin-believable...lol.

itchy said...

Hey man, I went to Blake's after cleaning too!