Saturday, November 10, 2007

Good DJs = Good Time

Last night I was surrounded by Hyphy tiny boppers at the 18+ downelink sponsored FUZ event. I was tricked into going. Maybe it was the AMF, but I had a good time. I realized that the DJ plays an important role in how much fun I have. And damn, DJ Barney Frando... he was OFF THE HOOK! His mixes made sense and he played the HOT tag lines of each top 40 song and moved on quickly before people were exhausted by the repetition.

Like... I walked it out, leaned like a cholo, supamaned, like thised, ghost rode the whip, leaned back, and snapped my fingers... to myself...

I was also fast like a nascar, gave you more, got so excited, did whatever you liked, and had my vans on but they looked like sneakers...

... but you know, I got it from my Momma.

He also did a cool Destiny's Child mix that had Survivor, Bootylicious, Jumpin', and Lose my Breathe integrated. I think that was my favorite.

With every transitioned song, people cheered because apparently DJ Barney Frando could read yo' little hyphy mind! People squealed especially for Britney, which isn't Hyphy at all. I realized, these are the kids that DON'T get into college. I get it. (haha, jk jk). These were gay hyphy Asians: Gayphysians! Thiz facing all night in their tacky urban street wear, gaudy fake chains and bad hair. What happened to polos? What happened to "bringing Sexy Back?"

It's interesting how much I can have a good time with good music despite the scene. At Mission Ale in Downtown San Jose a couple of months back, I had a GREAT time because the DJ there was also good. But the people, good lord, they were HUGE. San Jose people love to eat! And not big cute, but big NASTY! Fo' real. At Fuz my friend said, "that has got to be the ugliest girl in the world." AWW how mean. But with a good dj, it was all good.

The other night I was flirting with the idea of opening a GamEboi SJ or Rage San Jose, a 21+ that has the same vibe as Dragon in SF: good music, cool people, no hyphy. Buy out the gay night club SPLASH in downtown San Jose which has great potential, but no one except Papis know about it. *Shudder*. There is also Hunter's , but they play mainstream gay horrible electronic dance music all night like at Club Babylon on Queer as Folk. All you can do is touch yourself on the off beat, no rhythm necessary, you are garenteed to land a on a beat (though amazingly many people don't.. so I take that back.) The DJ is like 50 and the songs are remixed SO much they become unrecognizable without the music video to go with it. You really need to recognize the song to be able to enjoy it.

I wonder: there is a population, but I don't think people flock to San Jose like they do to the city. A risky and expensive investment, but it would be fun and an interesting to host a nightclub that's local and that I can fit in perfectly with. There is FUZ, but I hate the crowd so much. And ironicly, that crowd, would probably be the one to fill my club. Damn you ghetto San Jose people! The kids at Dragon SF look better in general, but Monyrith reasoned it was because it was really dark and I know a good number of them. FUZ was more like a well lit high school dance like on She's All That. But instead of the Rockafella Skank, it was Soulja BOY!!!!



OOPS! Wrong Video!
Here we go:


Don't get me wrong about Hunter's. I do like "gay music." I think gay music is indeed a genre of music like R&B. But like the hyphy vibe, there just so much you can take. And I guess, I couldn't take much of it because I bounced Hunter's before 11. The DJ at FUZ did a good job of playing overall "popular music" dispite the scene. I made a playlist of some songs that I think are pretty gay. Actually, they make me want to clean, please provide me with your suggestions.


1 comment:

xT. said...

lol this post was intersting to read. and i can agree with the vibe at FUZ either that or its too bright. That'd be awesome to have a new club in SJ. Hunters do play hip hip on thurs nites but they also have latin music towards the end. i've thought of opening up a new club...how cool would that be?