Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Ode to the Power Gay

While on downelink, I discovered a power gay from UCLA. I sent him a message:

only gay people posses such talent and passion. lol. or rather people with talent and passion are usually gay.

To this he responded: power gays!

I was thrilled he was familiar with the term. I responded: Power gays! LOL! That's EXACTLY what I call them. It's brilliant. That's how NSU, PCN, and VCN at Cal join forces during culture shows. If only there were gay Indians and Koreans. What deprived communities

And he replied: Haha... I only know that term because I heard someone else say it and asked what it meant. Unfortunately, they don't have that type of connection at UCLA between the ethnic orgs... well, at least none that I'm aware of.

A Power Gay has much influence in other communities. By also being a part of the gay community, they are able to network & support one another. For my definition, I refer to the Asian American community & their growing face on campuses. How on earth does UCLA not have this?

At the Red Party another guy from UCLA was impressed that our apartment was stuffed with the Power Gays of Berkeley. Dancer gays, theatre gays, cultural gays, political gays, etc. Networking and having a good time. He told me that there are a lot of gay people at UCLA, but no community. Everyone is on their own. WHAT?

I assure you that the leaders in ethnic clubs are gay. I ASSURE YOU. I'm sure they're friends withe each other too, but why isn't there a community?? This astounds me. Maybe these two guys were unlucky enough to be out of the loop. Impossible, if they have a downelink, they are connected.

I hope what Berkeley has doesn't die out. We need each other. We need a supportive community so that we don't feel alienated. Especially in such an academically demanding atmosphere. So if you're a power gay please recruit! We need more gays in power and a stronger community.

No comments: