Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Magnetic Slam

Yesterday, I cleaned my room and found some old CDs. Among that stack was a copy of Magnetic North, an Asian American Rap Duo from Berkeley. I decided to listen to it on my drive to work.


I was empowered and bobbed my head to good relatable lyrics. I thought about the poetry slam events they were held on campus. I remembered when I slammed at Gunderson about Jason and won a leather journal. I wondered if I had done a poetry slam again, what it would it be like. The Asian American struggle? Probably not. I flirted with ideas in my mind. If I were to do poetry slam at Berkeley, it would be about how much I hated people who studied 24/7 and forget to experience life. But, I'm not one to repeat banal topics. But it would of had fun. I imagined Sally cheering for me in the back... gooo Chris, Hot Sauce! Haha, I live for those moments. But that would be the wrong reason to do poetry slam.

The poem about Jason was real & raw, and I was driven to tears when I stood in front of the student body who felt pain in different forms. Jason was my role model and he died in an accident when he was 18 or almost 18. It's moments like those, true loss, true suffering that Poetry slam is authentic. Among beats and rhymes what makes rap, a good rap are words or relatable human experiences that aren't replicated or motivated.

But it's good to hear others' words to realize your own privilege.

Magnetic North! Check it out.

1 comment: