On Saturday I attended a downe party in Saratoga and many observations were made because I felt left out, I was still sick from the night before and/or I was stressed from driving the windy roads. We literally drove up the mountain, then down with no assistance from street lights or curbs to keep me from falling off the cliff. Everyone in my car was also stressed.
It's interesting to me how all these guys knew each other for at least five years hanging outside of Dragon. They were roommates and best friends and with every familiar face that walked through the door was another burst of flaming excitement. And of course they recognized each other from that notorious website.
These guys looked good. Arguably the best looking guys hand selected from each university. If we did role call I bet every UC was represented. And most of them had bright futures; some in Med School, Law or Psychiatry or already had prestigious jobs at Lockhead Martin or Google. The guy hosting the party was 31 and he took inventory through pictures when each group walked into his house. Proudly recording his own network of friends of friends of friends.
I imagined all the girls that would have been sad to attend. "He's gay too?" I'm sorry dear, everyone in the room, except one, is gay. And yes, they are all gorgeous but essentially the same person. 5'7, spiky hair athletic build, intellectual, fashionable, successful, friendly and witty; in their prime and sexually liberated. I exaggerate you not. I'd say 55% of the 80 guys that walked in were fairly attractive, which is pretty good considering.. but I guess it's their personalities that make them that much more great; sorry ladies.
DuHoss came in with Eric from Berkeley. "Chris, have you met Eric?" "Yup, he goes to Berkeley!" DuHoss wasn't suprised that I knew him already. Of course. But I could sense his disappointment when he thought he had introduced someone new to the scene. I talked to DuHoss about Tofu. He wasn't as suprised as I thought he would be. "You guys will definitely be different people in one year." That's the hope. He was 1 year and 4 months in with his long distance boyfriend. Yes. Bryan, out of everyone deserves all of it.
I met about 10 guys... August? Kong? Cliff? It's easy to met people because everyone is welcoming for one reason or another. Their faces blurred together. I decided to let them track me if they even remember me... but of course they do because they've browsed the site, danced at the night clubs and we all have at least 5 mutual friends. "Where did I meet you?" I didn't bother to say they were familiar and just assumed that I already met them... and I was usually right. "Oh! Leo's party, I know Sigmund, I met you last night at Dragon." I'd asked them what they did... and nothing else came from the conversation. My charm was out of gas apparently as I realized that I should focus on the circle of friends that I currently have.
By the end of the night I was exhausted from trying. I talked to a friend I've known for a while. I was sparked by a question and asked with out hesitation.
"So how do you know these guys?"
"Hmm, I either broke their heart, made out with them, dated them or just had casual sex." He was playful, but honest in his response. I asked how many of the guys in the room he made out with. "...2...6...15." I proudly declared that my magic number was 2. I wanted to draw a map in my head connecting all the hook ups. I imagined a big blurry ball of lines. I guess, if you had one, you've had them all. I noticed the multiple bedrooms in the house. My minute desire to flirt or make new friends continued to deplete.
Once in a while there was a loud cheer from the kitchen. I looked over to see a large group of "best friends" doing shots together. I considered them to be a generation of gays above mine that I never really knew. One year apparently makes a difference. If I tried, I could have been a part of it too; raising my glass in the air celebrating the good times and shared experiences. But instead, I was sober, pensive and began to appreciate the friends that I'm closer to; that I actually have phone numbers for... and yes, I did feel left out.
Though, I'm still glad I came because I am still a part of the community and it was nice to see familiar faces in the same room... partying as their age counts down...21, 22, 23...27...29. Everyone conscious and worried that time is running out and that they can't do this forever.
Because I know you guys miss it:
Hairchive: The Modern
Monday, October 29, 2007
Gays from 18-31
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
seems like the gay world is small, everyone knows everyone, or are linked to each other in some way.
Post a Comment