Last year in June, I reconnected with a friend from high school who told me about her job in advertising. She looked at me and said, "Chris, you would love the job.. you'd be really good at it." She recommended me to her HR staff.
One week later I got a call for an interview.
The week after, I flew to LA and completed a face to face interview
Two weeks after that, I packed up my life and moved to LA, a place that I was scared of; away from family and home. I was an assistant. My hours were long, but my work was fun. My team became my friends, my tasks became my hobby.
For 8 months I found myself loving LA, hating LA... growing up, regressing back. Fat, skinny. Mature and reckless.... but always happy with the decision that I made.
On March 22, 2010, the director asked me to step into her office. And said, "as you know, a position has opened up and we would like to offer it to you. This would be a promotion."
After 8 months of working at this Advertising agency, I was promoted.
Anyone who has worked with me could tell you that I'm not ready, but my mentor/teammate assured me, "they will not set you up to failure. You will learn a lot. Taking this promotion is the best thing to do and it's an opportunity that rarely happens."
I love my job. I'm always the first one in the office. And though I can't afford a house like my consulting/accounting friends who have their CPA... I can honestly say that this is what I enjoy doing... and will probably be doing it for a while.
Thanks for being good to me LA.
Thursday, April 8, 2010
Promotion.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
congratulation!
although, have you planned for grad school?
The ad world is for young people. It gets tougher when you pass 30.
you must've done something right to be promoted! congrats ^_^
Does this mean you can hook me up with an interview for yo company? lol
yeah. you could talk to anthony. he's planning on getting his MBA in a couple of years for brand management... on the client side instead of the agency side.
and congrats by the way!!!
To quote Matthew Perry, "Look, I hate Los Angeles like everybody else but I have to work here 'cause in any other part of the country I'm unemployable..."
congratssssssss
you go boy!
Congratulations! What's your new role?
~A
yay! dinner and drinks on chris!
I hope my blog will provide new information and I hope we can exchange links thank you for pushing our friendship
Congrats!
Post a Comment