Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Mysterious Skin - An Asian American Adaptation

October 1
I love seeing Asian Americans on stage.  When I heard that Mysterious Skin was going to performed by an all Asian cast in Little Tokyo I peed a little.

I peed even more when Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character was being interpreted by the sexy David Huynh.  MmMmm Vietnamese actOR.

A while back I would download a ton of Gay movies.  Most of them were terrible.  The production quality so poor and story line was so irrelevant, yet predictable.  I have CDs of them collected somewhere.  There was a lot of junk produced by Here!  Though I remember watching Mysterious Skin by myself during one random afternoon.  I was excited about the kid from Third Rock from the Sun playing gay.  I thought Joseph Gordon-Levitt was sexy way before Inception.

I remember being shocked by the film.  It made me uncomfortable, but it was so interesting and brilliant.  The play was just the same with a cast of talented actors and a violent full frontal rape scene that silenced the already mute audience.


More theater productions please.

If you're in the mood for some LGBT flicks, check out Mysterious Skin, it's pretty atypical.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed love of siam..if you give it a chance and watch it the whole way through. you should check that out, some people complain of it being typical as well but I found the ending realistic and poignant. And it's nice to have a southeast asian perspective on homosexuality

david huynh is a cutie

Luuworld said...

i would love to pop in to see a play like this!

letopho said...

I've seen Love of Siam. The ending was sooo sad. :[