Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I'm Not Really Into Concerts - Is it my ADD?


I don't love any musical artist enough to sit through their entire set list.  If I wanted to listen to music, I would download the song and listen to it from my laptop...then do other things while it plays in the background like clip my nails.  This is what I've discovered going to a couple free outdoor concerts.  Ugh, so much standing.

The above photo was from the Eagle Rock Music Festival 10/2/10.  Loved the festival because there was a lot to see, weather was amazing and the company was lovely.  Thankfully there were multiple stages with different type of music so I could humor my a.d.d.

Here is Tokyo Police Club at the Toyota Antics block party on 10/10/10.  I enjoyed one of their songs, but funny enough, not the recorded version.  The balloons being tossed back and forth was my highlight.  I found myself trying really hard to enjoy the rest of the music set... but it was really forced.  Tried hard not to check facebook mobile, tried hard to enjoy the "show" ... to no avail.  But of course, loved the company and that's why I was there to begin with.  It was also nice to be outside.

Even during pop concerts I find myself bored.  I wish I could just press NEXT and the singer would go on to the next song.   I can watch this stuff on youtube and fast forward... I also have a better view looking at my monitor.

Thanks to work I've been to following


At the block party, they borrowed a church and had a little performance.  It was cool.

Something about the standing and the crowds and the pushing and being incapable of properly appreciating music has prevented me from enjoying concerts.  But I can dance all night to a great dj.  Dancing would be different than bobbing my head up and down and swaying like a drone.  Eating, driving or talking while live music is playing in the background would be perfect, but just standing there at a concert just listening.... kills me. 

My roomies tried to explain to me that it was about the experience.  To this I snarkly replied, "experience what?"

What am I missing?

4 comments:

thwany said...

i totally agree. i've only been to one concert in my life and there's too much waiting and standing around.

mich said...

the best concerts are where you're really into the artist, to the point where you know the lyrics to all their songs, and you're singing along and dancing the whole time. or where they're really good live and you're mesmerized by their performance and stage. i don't think that happens for me often though.

Anonymous said...

how did u get into berkeley, u seem to have low attention span in general

letopho said...

@Anonymous Great question! I also got into UCLA. :]