Saturday, July 21, 2007

Friend

I told a good friend of mine that I have a lot of superficial friends. Frustrated he says, "A friend to you is Ignia, *SCOFF*" He continues to define me, "YOUR definition of a friend is different from 75% of what everyone else thinks." He later explains that he was frustrated because he believes that I don't give my friends at Berkeley enough credit.

Maybe I don't. But is it so wrong of me keep my distance when no one tries to get close? And when they DO get close enough for me to consider them my good friend, there's always a chance that they'll back away because it's no longer convenient or worthwhile for them to continue.

My close friends from home are in a group called Ignia. They define respect, regard, and trust. So, I am offended when I am scoffed at for putting them above everyone else.

I have close friends at Berkeley who have been there for me, who I trust and respect and care about, but they're rare and even some of them come in and out of my life. Even though only 25% of everyone agrees with me, I will always believe that a good friend is hard to come by. BUT if people invite me, communicate with me and try to get close to me, I am more than happy to be obliged, but it takes more than that to consider them a good friend.

4 comments:

Tofu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the holla said...

fo real real!

The US is known internationally for enjoying superficial relationships... for treating acquaintances like best friends and quickly leaving them when the opportunity arises. It's silly. Maybe if you moved to Europe your definition of friendship would be better appreciated. !

the holla said...

PS if 75% of the population will settle for artificial, that's their own fault.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe someone would scoff at who those you consider your close friends, especially if they don't know what's behind that friendship and what you've gone through. It may appear bias as holla and I are the Ignians, but nonetheless, there are barely a handful other than Ignia that I can call good friends, mostly because Ive had to go through just as much with them as what Ignia has gone through together.

We love you Chris, and if anyone scoffs at those you feel deeply for, they need to open their hearts a little more. They may not realize they're n ot being your good friend by hurting your feelings with that attitude. <3