Sunday, July 15, 2007

Skin Deep

If you know me, you know that I've been suffering from acne for 6 years. From mild to severe, it seems like my face will always be damaged. And if you know me, you know I obsess about it a lot. It's just hard because it's disease on my face that has become a part of my description of myself: short, funny, big hair, bad skin. I just wish it wasn't true. I am on medication, but I'm not on accutane. That shit ruins your liver and makes you go depressed. I'm not that concerned, I do face the public, but I don't want to encounter people from my past. Reunions and casual meetings with people from my high school or people I've dated are terrifying to me because I don't think I look suitable to be seen. And I untag pictures because some cameras aren't very nice to me, but most are.

You may be thinking that I am so conceited that I am only concerned with my looks. Well, I know your eyes wander and fixate on my latest scar. Children remind me the most of my appearance. I was at Smyr's graduation party and his godson or cousin or whatever sitting next to me declared, "I'm going to call you Dotman! Because of all the dots on your face!" Lovely.

I visited an acclaimed Vietnamese Dermatologist that turned out to be just another rude "skin doctor" prescribing me DoxySomething and benzaclin. It seems to be working. I love hearing, "your skin's getting better." A lot. My mood soars to the highest mountain because it's a great compliment to me. It's funny though, I've been on this pill and only lately did I learn that I was not supposed to take with with antacid or supplements containing zinc, calcium, or magnesium. TOO BAD I've been taking multivitamins in the morning with the pill and TUMS to help my tummy ache at night, which is an antacid. Brilliant.

1 comment:

dannie said...

hey this is 'oralfixations' from xanga =P

just wanted to let you know, that i know how you feel about acne. and also i was wondering what pills did your doctor prescribe for you? 'cause i used to use minocycline which helped me, but i stopped taking it.

also the whole kids thing..it's kinda hard to take when a kid points it out and says something. A kid said that i had chicken pox, i went into the house after that.

Hope what your doctor prescribed you works out for you.