Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Living in Excess

I got my 3rd paycheck and I'm considering buying a 19-20 inch flat panel monitor for home; possibly with a wall mounted arm. It's not expensive, I could easy spend 250, but I'm holding back for some reason. Maybe because I keep asking myself, "do I really need this?"

Well, do I really need anything? It's funny how value is placed differently based on your own belief's and of course society's.

Recently, I would easily drop around $50 buying drinks, but rarely would I buy a t-shirt that costs more than $13. Is it because fashion isn't on top of my list? Probably since I still have clothes from middle school hanging in my closet. And I'm never impressed by clothes, like how I'm never impressed with movies enough to buy them. Is having a collection of your favorite DVDs excessive? I figure you only need to watch a movie once, especially since there's millions of things available. OR it's because I really am narcoleptic and fall asleep often while watching things longer than an hour.

It makes me wonder if I'm living out my life to the fullest. That's why we have credit cards, so we can be American and enjoy life for the now. Maybe I should consider that sort of life style and buy clothes that's not on clearance and start a collection of things just for the hell of it. And pay that extra 5 dollars instead of dealing with the stress of bidding online. But it's hard to make that switch.

This weekend I went shopping with my gay boys and they picked out cute things that I would have never found. We concluded I look great in white because of the contrast and I handed the lady my credit card. Brilliant. And the clothing has more value because now they are attached to friends. So if your my friend, please come shopping with me and help me spend my money because I grew up only buying what I "needed."

While you're at it, please make me a playlist for my car so I don't fall asleep while driving.

No comments: