In order for me to heal, recharge, feel like myself, I need to involve another person and that “taking a walk, break, breath” doesn’t work because I can’t clear my thoughts, but rather get lost in them when I’m alone.
I sat in a 24 hour laundromat last night and again this early morning at Echo Park lake. Of course, I wasn't alone for long. And whatever substance was swirling around in my body was messing with my mood, energy and concept of time.
I’m understanding more and more that gay people can be mean to each other. I want to believe that people are nice, appreciative and good intentioned and the side comments, casual shade and passive aggressive social media posts are just a character they play; no one really means to put down others. But in actuality we can be pretty malicious.
Regardless of all of that, I just want to be everyone's friend. And I want to help plan your Saturdays and introduce you to other cool and nice people because I know how hard it could be to make new friends. Or how busy we can get and forget to reach out to one another.
But - we all can't be friends. And as a few faces no longer appear at these silly house parties that I put too much effort/self in, I can't but feel like it's because people are done with it. Why bother trying to get everyone together when it feels like I'm forcing it upon them with direct personal invites. I wonder if people decline because they’re just done with gay energy because of how abrasive and judgemental we could be. Or maybe because people hooked up and it got awkward. But it makes me happy to hear when the people that do come get something out it - they get to talk about personal things to people who get it, they find a new gym buddy, they approach a person they have a crush on... whatever it is, my space made it easier for them to connect. At least that’s what I hope.
Yesterday was exhausting. It was a marathon of drinking and smoking and it took a lot out of me to make sure people were having fun. It took a lot out of me to force my roommates to decorate, clean, prepare and see them act in obligation. It took a lot out of me to take to heart when someone who was supposed to help dismisses it. It took a lot out of me to coordinate 18 different personalities around town event hopping in DTLA and I was worn down and feeling unappreciated.
As an attention seeking, self congratulating, party planner - feeling unappreciated is probably one of the most hurtful things for me to experience. It makes me question if it was even worth it to get people together.
And it is. Because that’s who I am and what I do. And I may position these parties and get-to-gethers as a "safe space" for a "community of under represented, marginalized group of people" aka gaysians, but it's actually a safe space for me. So that I don't feel alone... and being able to share it with you makes me whole and happy.
Sunday, August 26, 2018
Is it Even Worth It?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment