Monday, July 14, 2008

Crash

I borrowed two movies from the library: Robots and Crash.

My dad told me he started to watch Crash, but replaced it with Robots because Crash dealt with a lot of race issues. My dad wants to be entertained by a colorful world of action, mystery, humor, not reminded of realities of our daily lives.

In 2006, Crash won the Academy Award for Best Picture. I never desired to watch it. My friends equally brushed off the movie by saying that it dealt with a lot of race issues. To me "race issues" does not equate to entertainment. I popped in the DVD with an empty mind; preparing myself for nothing and shit, I should have worn a seat belt.

I realize that I appreciate movies that I expect very little from. Hype and expectations ruin experiences for me. And to come in with a blank canvas as opposed to preconceived notions is the best way to approach a movie. And maybe that's why I was so moved, because I didn't anticipate such a ride.

The movie starts with a narrative:
It's the sense of touch. In any real city, you walk, you know? You brush past people, people bump into you. In L.A., nobody touches you. We're always behind this metal and glass. I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each other, just so we can feel something.

This movie was amazing, to say the least. And I found myself crying a great deal; like heavy sobbing. Good lord. It was so profound.

=========================================

Yesterday I talked to my cousin about movies. Her list of favorites rarely coincided with mine. When I was in Blockbuster with Jen, our movie tastes also fell short of matching.

To right of my blog you see a list of my "favorite movies." Most of them lack substance. They qualify as good movies to me because my attention is drawn to them. I am difficult to please.

I love this movie so much that I'd watch it again, with you. There was a lot of art, symbolism, powerful lines that can only be caught if you watch a movie more than one time; a lot more of the piece of art to be appreciated.

My goal: to watch award winning movies and acclaimed independent films found at the library. To be touched and inspired by movies that succeed to captivate me. Anyone want to join me?

1 comment:

Stanza said...

'My goal: to watch award winning movies and acclaimed independent films found at the library'


Nice to see someone that has taste:) Independent films is where it's at.


http://altvisionz.blogspot.com/