Tuesday, October 2, 2007

How Do You Teach Motivation

If I hold my brother's hand so that he gets into college am I really helping him the best way possible?

Is it better that he make mistakes and just mature at his own pace?
But what if he doesn't go to college at all? Would I regret not pushing him or would I understand college isn't for everyone? What am I supposed to do?

He's a sophomore, but his writing and reading is so poor and all he does is play this lame game that rots his brain. He refuses to go out to dinner with the family because he'd rather be home and he's uninterested by his friends/organizations at school.

Today, instead of working out, I voluntarily helped my brother out with his current events. He was doing well until he realized that he only had half an hour left to play his game. From that point, his answers consisted of "I don't know." I asked him what was important to him and he game the same answer. I told him that helping him was important to me. I asked him when I can help him again and he repeated the same response. I got frustrated and worried. Why is he so obsessed with this piece of shit game? Enough that he won't study, won't be apart of other things, won't experience life.

Do I expect too much? Am I giving a negative impression on him? Am I putting too much pressure on him? Did something happen to make make him so lame?

God, its so hard because he's not meeting my standards. And you can't force him to do things because then he'll just hate it. But I'm scared that he'll continue to be on myspace instead of upgrading to facebook.

I guess... the best thing to do is to make myself available, check up on him and ask him what he wants to achieve personally and... to not expect too much and to hope that excelling and being ambitious is something he will develop on his own.... hopefully.

2 comments:

moocaltrain said...

So i accidentally commented on your previous post instead of this one. :-P Go back to the other one! :-p

nick said...

he's not playing world of warcraft, is he?

oh man. and i totally know about the myspace vs. facebook.