Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Desert Adventure

It only took an hour and a half to get to Palm Springs which makes me wonder why we don't go more often.  Something about that desert heat that's so relaxing.

I was excited to use my car because I changed the wind shield wipers and got an oil change.  It was time to use the car that's been so reliable to me.

Before heading out we grabbed a banh mi from Banh Mi Che Cali for breakfast.  On the way to the freeway I thought I tossed my sunglasses in the garbage and made Charles and Phil fish it out of the trash.  They passed the test of friendship and I passed the test of idiocy when I pulled them out of my pant pocket.  Oops.

First stop, Bombay Beach.  A post apocalyptic town of 300 sitting next to the Salton Sea which was essentially sitting water with rotting fish and sulfur.




There was also a piano that could be found on the beach sludge, but it disappeared before we could find it.  Check out this erie video:

A video posted by @yanntiersen on


Next 30 minutes from Bombay Beach was Salvation Mountain.  A structure built from adobe and paint sits randomly in the desert.


I thought the view from the top back was the most interesting because you could see how it was made and how fragile it is.  I wanted to pose with the rainbow flag, but it took away from the colors of the mountain.


We forgot to pack water.  Which is quite dangerous.  Made taking pictures really difficult because we were so uncomfortable.  Thankfully there was a convenient store at the corning of the town near by.


We decided to be frugal on the trip and split a Travelodge among the four of us.  They had a pool, not bad.


That evening we went out to Hunters to celebrate love and it was surprisingly happening.  Four rounds of drinks later and I was happy.



The next day we explored Joshua Tree which was a familiar place since I've been there twice before.


Took some pictures for Jimmy's "Shirtless in National Parks" photo series


Looks at these two creatives.


We conquered it all!  Key's View is wonderful.

1 comment:

RGB said...

Oh man i was just there a couple weeks ago. The smell from the Salton Sea when you are up close and personal with the sludge is quite memorable. We went 10 minutes further down that scary road where salvation mountain was, and made it to east jesus. Which is like a permanent burning man installation. I love that whole area and have dreams about moving out there to be a smelly hippie making crazy art that hipsters drive out to gawk at; but then i wake up and realize there wouldn't be anywhere to charge my phone...