Sunday, October 19, 2014

September Recap

It's been a while since I posted a month-recap, but September went by pretty fast and there were some nice moments I'd like to remember.

Saw Yuna at Grand Performances in Downtown.  This free show was over capacity.  The planners didn't realize how big Yuna was when they booked her.  Of course she agreed to do a free show, she lives in DTLA!



Though we had to stand, the view was great.  I caught her waving to us.  I wish Jimmy was there.







Afterward we enjoyed some street tacos at the carwash station near my house.  It wasn't as good as our go to Taco Zone, but I'm glad I tried it.





Thanks to Andrew, I got to see White People Culture Show at the Bootleg Theatre.

White people are really interesting and exotic.  I love their traditional folk dance.  Though it looked like they were being possessed, I'm sure it has some culture relevance to their faith.  It was pretty inspirational.  Only in LA do we get an opportunity to get exposed to so many cultures.



Alysia is having a tough year.  So I was happy that we got a chance to hang out at Manhattan Beach.  We jumped in the water and had some ice cream.  I love her.




I'm impressed with the 626 Nightmarket and their integration of youth culture.  They hire popular youtube personalities and have live art by really talented people.  The food... I wouldn't come for the food since the lines are terrible, but it's great energy and perfect for the community.  Here's Carlo taking pastry dick.



I made it out to see Joe survive his Malibu Triathalon.  I could say that I plan on accomplishing this in my life, but that's a lie.  I ran into a friend who was blending from his joints.  He told me that he ate it on his bike and couldn't finish it because his bike was warped.  Sucks so much.  I lent him my phone which he was thankful for.  I wore this giraffe shirt that Joe got me a while back.  Wanted to show him that I appreciated that thought even though it's 2 sizes too small for my fat torso.



Battle of the Bands industry event.  Lots of good memories here in previous years.  I go mainly to reminisce and run into old work friends.



Monterey Park has their own night market.  But it has a more local for the smaller community vibe.  The only people in attendance seem to be the ones from Monterey Park.  The 626 night market includes all asians in a 20 mile radius.  I enjoyed a sticky rice burger from a Thai restaurant in DTLA.





We checked out the Step and Repeat exhibit at the MOCA and took a picture at the step and repeat, but they never posted it.  They only posted photos of what Jimmy calls - Try Hards.  I'm glad I snagged these gems from the camera preview before they're gone forever.







Game Haus is amazing - a huge library of boardgames.  $5 admission and there's no time limit.  I just wish I knew how to play all the games before coming.  The time it takes to read and understand the rules is such a waste.  The highlight of the night was a retro game called Compatibility.  Really silly, but really fun!





We went on a hike to see the Sturtevant Falls pictured above, but what we got was the California drought.  This is serious guys.





Steve invited me to watch his performance in Chinatown.  It was Confucius day so the nearby school had an event.  Steve is really talented - composed music for some films.  He picked up the pipa which is a Chinese instrument.  Charles came late and missed the performance, but he got to practice his calligraphy instead.

The other night we had a jam session at 321.  Jimmy on keyboard and Steve on the ukelele.  We sang along and Phinn did a rap, it was sort of perfect.



September ended quietly with a game of monopoly. My body was shutting off, but I suddenly got a second wind when I started picking up property.   When you make money your body wakes up apparently.

No comments: