Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Coachella 2014

I was lucky enough to attend Coachella with experts.  And I was impressed with everything I experienced.  Food was good, lines were short, people had good energy.  It was spectacular.  I also couldn't get over the beautiful bodies and faces.  It was obvious that people spent months to be seen at Coachella. Abs abs abs everywhere and a pretty face to match.

I was expecting dirt ground, but it was all grassy and comfortable to lay on.
I was expecting long lines, but there were none
I was expecting insufferable heat, but there were plenty of shady spots and air conditioned booths
I was expecting my phone to die and to get lost, but my group had a lit up guiding lantern that kept us together and we found charging stations
I was expecting to pay an arm and a leg for water, but it was ALL free with easy filling stations
I was expecting to be bored, but as Jimmy described it - it's a playground with tons to see and things to interact with.
I was expecting to have difficulty sleeping, but the Marriot Villa Suite that we stayed at was pretty upscale.
I was expecting to wait an hour to leave, but our shuttle got us out of there quick!

I was expecting to be exhausted... that.. was a reality.  Currently I'm tired and spent all of Monday just laying down.  From the standing, the heat, the non-stopness of it all.

I stayed pretty sober, only drinking in the morning on the shuttle before I was forced to dispose the liquid before entering the grounds.  But it wasn't hard to sneak things in, but I wasn't really trying.



I wish I had taken pictures of all the unique things that people held up in the air to keep from getting lost in the crowd.  They printed large pictures of their faces/celebrities, they held up glowing gummy bears, they tied stuffed animals on sticks.  Even though there were 45,000 people there, It was easy to stay together if you held up something.  And the creativity made this part of the event really interesting.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/50-best-things-we-saw-at-coachella-2014-20140414/best-way-to-be-found-giant-heads-0996908


What's even more amazing is that Coachella transforms at night.


The best thing to do when the sun sets is to remove your sunglasses and use a face wipe to peel off the layers of sunscreen on your face.  All of a sudden, you're at a different festival.  And people start to glow.


What about the music?  The performances were amazing.  And the light shows made me feel like I was tripping on drugs when I was completely sober the entire time.  I learned that it's always better to be in front, but that's difficult when you want to see multiple acts.

This is what I saw:

Friday
HAIM - Ern/Erik got me into HAIM.  These girls were fun to watch with their facial expressions... they were our welcome to Coachella
Bastille - Just stopped by to listen to their hit Pompeii
Ellie Golding - Fun to sing along to though I couldn't understand her when she spoke
Chromeo - SO good!  I was dancing around, I love the beats
Flume - I don't remember
Zedd - We were deep in Sahara air hangar-like arena immersed in lights, this was intense

Saturday
Banks - She was wearing a big hat and looks like Monica from Friends.  She was hitting those high notes
CHVRCHES
Capital Cities - The trumpet player was good... and Safe and Sound.
MGMT - Missed their hit songs to catch Lorde
Lorde - Amazing live
Solange - We were pretty close and Solange is a very amazing performer.  Once Beyonce came out, the crowd did NOT know how to react.  I think I lost my breath.  They danced together.  It was amazing.

Pharrell Williams - Wish I was closer to the stage to see ALL of his surprise guests!  His voice was shocked so he couldn't really sing

Sunday

Flosstradamus - Jimmy LOVES this DJ.  We were in the front and ended up moshing. I was worried because I was surrounded by children, but it was pretty fun!  Flosstradamus got all of the girls up on the guys shoulders at one point.  And though I missed a confetti shower, I experienced a water bottle shower when the group encouraged everyone to throw something in the air when the beat dropped.  Ridiculously fun.
I'm on the right with Jimmy

Little Dragon - She's part Asian.  Yay.  I saw her first song.  Yawn.
Calvin Harris - We were a bit far and the closer we got, the harder it was to see.  Still great!
Lana Del Rey - Great vocals, but I wanted to sit for this performance
Disclosure - Amazing. Amazing.  When it was just me and Jimmy, I pushed us closer to the front and he fell in love with the night when Sam Smith appeared.

Sad that I missed 
The Knife - Ern said they were great theatrical performers.
Fatboy Slim - Just wanted to hear their "She's All That" Song.. Funk Soul Brother
Empire of the Sun - For that one song I love...
The Yuma tent was also supposed to be pretty inside with hardwood floor and shiny things

During Disclosure, we found a large group of older shirtless meaty gays obviously tripping on something and making out with each other.  "I can't until I reclaim my gay youth when I turn 40 I thought to myself."

Jimmy put together a video of the weekend which included the Do Over Pool Party.



I think I'll go again next year.  But really think about wearing things that glow for the evening and getting creative with the guiding sticks.

Brunch with the boys at Ace Hotel Cafe: King's Highway

Cait wait!  I hope the prices don't go up again.




Most of these pictures were taken from Instagram #Coachella - photo credit given in file name

No comments: