|Me... at Guisados|
February... what I remember about February is captured in a couple of snags. I'm saving a separate blog entry for my Portland Seattle trip.
I tried to attend the 115th Golden Dragon Parade & Chinese New Year Festival and took my friends on an odd fail ride. I was having an issue with parking, but found a spot on a hill. I was facing downward and needed to backup. So I pressed aggressive on the paddle to compensate for gravity. Except..... I was in the wrong gear and jolted forward almost hitting the car in front of me. My passangers screamed. But I caught myself and decided to park farther and safer. Glad I didn't cause damage.
After walking a mile and watching 10 minutes of the parade, dragons and confetti oh my. We went to find food. We found a restaurunt in an obscure plaza and discovered a mild wait. All of a sudden the lights went out and the cooks walked out of the kitchen for a smoke. No electricity. Fail.
We walked to a Banh Mi place that I liked and got excited.... the staff walked out and said, "sorry we're all out.. crazy day." The festival partakers sold them out! UGH Fail.
Our third choice was a sketchy and really cheap and dirty takeout place with no seating. This is us in an alley eating oily things. Happy Year of the Horse.
This is my favorite alley way between upscale apartments in the Fashion District off Santee street. And look, I found a pretty tasty quesadilla for 3 bucks. Looks like this area is getting a face lift with a 20 year project to add a mega City Market which will take over 10 blocks and include hotels, apartments, offices, and even a college. The Santee alley will probably die as the rent goes up. So sad, but years in the making.
I stopped by the LA Art Book Fair at the Geffen. It was really pretty.. I'm illiterate, but I was amused by an Asian-Australian Queer Zine. Ern says that 321 should have a zine.
There was thing thing called the Superbowl. I don't know. I stopped by Kevyns work place to eat American junk food and high five people.
This is real street art.
|Resourceful reflector... a perfect headslot|
Jimmy is taking food pictures for our friend's pop up Filipino food project. It's amazing to see passionate people taking it to the next level. Check out PATAO
This is the other couple. Jlo is worried about the future and Andrew and considering the characters in his life he can incorporate into his film.
What do you do when you live in an attic space? You have movie nights and project Frozen and Beyonce music videos on your slanted walls. MORE MOVIE NIGHTS!
EATING OUT FEBRUARY
- Grimaldi's - Lots of garlic and lots of sausage is my pizza topping jam. Don't need to go to New York any more!
- Hoy-ka - I got a message on yelp! That my favorite boat noodle place moved. I was worried that prices would go up since they moved to a location with more traffic. Nope. Still under $6 for an amazing spicy bowl of Thai Boat Noodle.
- PATAO Homemade Ice Cream and Pork Belly - My friend is crazy talented. No sous chef either.
- Folliero’s Italian Food and Pizza - Mmmm really affordable Italian food. That's what I like!
- Overpriced West side food - A giant chicken pot pie for like $20.. really?
- Boiling Point - Valentines tradition!
- Simpang Asia - So good. So cheap. Indonesian food.. but on the West. Gasp.
- Versailles Restaurant - That Cuban chain with that moist chicken. Yummzers