Friday, November 1, 2013

October - Birthdays, Bicycling and Beards

October is always a hectic month since ALL of my friends decided to be born during this time.  Thankfully they were all creative and all had separate fun events which made this month pretty entertaining.

Erik's Birthday - Sushi Stop, UCB Comedy and some Bear


We spent the Friday night in Franklin Village enjoying a really cheap sushi dinner at Sushi Stop in a private back room.  Following this was an improv comedy show about Fucked Up families and scenes improv'd from random music from various iPods.  Went to the bar next door where the upstairs sitting area sat vacant waiting for us.  Ern is trying to sneak a blow on Erik's candle.


Irene's Birthday - Harry Potter Themed in the Park


I've known Irene since high school through Key Club and she was thrilled when I was able to attend her Harry Potter themed party in a park in Culver City.  She went ALL out setting up a legit game of Quidditch and breaking up the groups into houses using an electronic sorting hat.  There was a guy/girl combo who kicked my team's ass at Quidditch.  I was so out of breath but we managed to get a great picture.  I also slammed myself into JV trying to take another jumping picture - Ouch.  One of the games was put the 8 pictures of the Harry Potter characters in order by release/age.  We got Harry, so it was easy.  Hermione was impossible!  I also reused the costume for halloween.. how convenient!


Jlo and Brian's Birthday - Food Bank Volunteering 


Jlo and Brian went the giving back route and had their birthdays early in the morning at the LA food bank.  People usually mix of these volunteer opportunities with food kitchens where you serve food, but we were all tasked to put together care packages full of juices and cereal.

Jlo and Brian provided a wonderful Filipino breakfast to get the day going right!



Back breaking work!  And all about the assembly line!  The factory was huge with tons of volunteers and at the end they tell us how many meals we've provided.  It was pretty amazing.


Steve and Sam - Dim Sum and Shaved Ice


I tried to surprise Steve and Sam by lighting a candle in a piece of dim sum, but I almost burnt myself so we pretended.  After Dim Sum at King Hua and yummy shaved ice at Salju Desserts.  They have an amazing Vietnamese Iced Coffee shaved ice that I fell in love with.

Other Steve, Steve and Ed's Surprise


These video game nerds are united by some foreign language that I don't quite understand, but we had a nice green cake with some funny looking cartoon things coming out of it.  One of them was missing so they facetimed.  I played with the guinea pig.


Steve and Ed's Birthday - WeHo


Not very surprising.  WeHo is the simplest way to celebrate a gay birthday.  We danced and did the run way walk at Eleven Lounge.  Find the light and dance!

Sean's Birthday - Senor Fish


Sean celebrated his birthday at Senor Fish in Little Tokyo.  Mad Asian Americaness with #swag oozing from the bars.  Sean made these cute thank you cards with taxi numbers in case we all get out of control.  I was feeling the patio space... and Jimmy photobombed me and Andrew.





Ciclavia - Heart of LA

Downtown LA shuts down for CicLAvia.  It's definitely an adventure to ride bikes in a city dependent car culture.  It was particularly pretty to see the downtown skyline from the East LA.  I had left over kids sunglasses from Jimmy's birthday that I left at the information booth.  Those were snatched up SO quickly.  In the top left photo, you can see Erik learning how to mount a bike on a bus.  This is actually really useful.


Facial Hair


My boss was on vacation in Europe and he posted a picture of his long hair don't care beard on facebook.  I went ahead and printed that out and send him these pictures to show that we miss him.   I tried out facial hair in October - my coworker things I look rugged, but it's too sparse to have that true affect.... so here are more selfies with me and an animals.

Thanks October for being an eventful month.

No comments: