Sunday, October 27, 2013

September 14 - Exxopolis


This is the story of Saturday, September 14, 2013.  I wanted to do a "day in the life of me" sort of entry starting when I woke up to going to bed.  Lucky for me there was an exciting art exhibit so there was something to blog about.  September 14 started off at 9AM where my body clock woke me up.  I pulled up my tablet and read about the gentrification happening across the street from my house.  69 new units in what is marketed as "South Silverlake" because Echo Park still has a ghetto connotation.  I signed a petition against this sort of development where I met someone who described this as a spaceship landing in victorian house town.  Which is exactly what's happening.  Parking is my biggest concern.  5 people live in my house and we each have our own car.  This 69 unit complex is going to make the after work part of life miserable.  Sigh.

Jimmy was still sleeping.  It takes him a bit to wake up on the weekends.  If I want him to wake up I make him breakfast or coffee and place it next to his face so that his tummy would rumble and he would wake up.  Otherwise he just hisses and goes back to sleep until 11AM at least.  But today we booked tickets to Exxopolis!  It was only in town for two weekends!


We came too early and we were able to smuggle an extra ticket, but this thing was so popular that the normal wait was up to two hours.  So we walked around downtown and grabbed a burger from Chego in Chinatown which also is seeing hundreds? of new units popping up.  Mmm this burger is so good.


And we're in!  This giant labyrinth is lit by the sun.  The plastic is hand crafted by "Architects of Air."  Really trippy.  And worth the wait?  MMM yes.  I wasn't disappointed when I finally entered.  No shoes because they don't anything to be punctured.


Jimmy in color heaven.


Because the Music Center was sponsoring this exhibit in Grand Park, they had performances throughout the day.  We were able to enjoy some hawaiian dance and later an elaborate story telling with masks of different emotions.

The wait and heat exhausted us so this was all we really did that day.  Jimmy went home to see his parents and I attended a birthday party at a rooftop in downtown LA.


Made small talk with straight people all of which had their lives together.  I think I met pharmacy students, someone who words for a hedge fund, someone who was doing their residency in family medicine.  Like these were Asian Yuppies. Like for real.

I met this teacher who loves to travel and we hit it off really well.  I thought I was getting hit on by the birthday boy's sister, but apparently she was giving her business card out to everyone that night.  One can only pretend to get hit on I suppose.


I observed these bros get drunker and drunker until death.  It was amusing.


Grabbed my friend and escaped to Thai Town at 1AM.  Beef Jerky and Morning Glory from Ruen Pair  - goodness to absorb the whiskey that I was sipping on from the yuppy party.


Quick face time with Jimmy and off to dream land around 2:30AM.  Jimmy goes home to spend time with his family 1 hour away.  Takes the opportunity to get away from LA life and my demands for attention.

The End.

No comments: