Sunday, September 22, 2013

September Concerts and Performances



Andrew invited me to Live Arts Exchange (LAX) which a show case of contemporary home-grown performance emerging out of Los Angeles.

According to the website, these "innovative artists and independent companies in LA, creates social events that encourage cross-genre hangouts, and provides opportunity for peer to peer critique."

I was in awe at the entire experience which was very intimately held at the Bootleg Theater down the street from my house.  I was sitting at ground level.. the dancers could have kicked my face if they wanted too.



We didn't expect the performance to be so visual, I only had my iPhone to capture this and I'm a bit sad that we were late to the event.  The piece above was so sensual, the guy and girl had some much chemistry my breath was taken away.  There were moments when I couldn't believe that these people were human.  They were so elegant, passionate... beautiful.  Wow.



In September I also saw the XX at the Hollywood bowl.  The visual effects were so bright that I had to wear sunglasses like an idiot to enjoy the show.  The XX reminds me of my days riding the bus when my car was totaled.  The music is mellow and I has a calming effect that helped me clear my mind while I rushed to the next stop.




There is an annual industry event that I have fond memories of back in the day when I started working in LA.   These memories included over drinking and being regretfully social.  Regretful because I couldn't remember who I talked to.. if only business cards all had faces on them... and a record of the conversation.  This event at the House of Blues on the Sunset Strip is a Battle of the Bands.... I took note of a cute pianist who I later found at the bar and purchased him a drink on the company tab.  I was networking... he could be a potential client.  He was grateful since he works in web design and never gets treated out.



Afterward, we took our car to Thai Patio where my coworker bowed to his Thai dessert and my other coworkers slow danced in the aisle.  I can't take these people anywhere.


The Space Between Us - janet Echelman photo by Mike Ryan


I also checked out Santa Monica GLOW which was terrible.  Too many people and a lot of wandering - everyone looked lost and disappointed.  The pieces were so far a part from each other that I was too tired to really enjoy them when I finally arrived.  Good try West Side.

No comments: