Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Distant Tourists


On Father's Day I gave my dad a call.  Sometimes I wish I lived an hour away so that I could visit without hassle.  One hour is a good distance.  My dad visited early in May to help my brother move out of his college dorm.  He took the opportunity to visit me and enjoy #LALife.

I took him around downtown and became a tourist with him.




There were moments of silence that day where I thought I could just come out to him.  I could have filled that silence with honesty, but I couldn't get myself to do it.  Instead of talking about the city, I could have talked about myself.  My dad knows a lot about me, but there is that one piece that I have yet to express.  The physical distance between Los Angeles and San Jose where he lives is almost as vast as the metaphoric distance between me and my dad when it comes my sexuality.

So we both just wait... wait until I'm ready.  Whenever that may be.  But I'm glad he visited.

No comments: