Monday, January 7, 2013

Without a Car

Feet picture.  That's my headphone cord

Ever since the year started, I haven't found my groove.  I haven't found a routine that I'm comfortable with and I think I can blame the asshole who side swiped my parked car during the early morning hours.  Thank goodness I have insurance.  By paying exorbitant amounts of money every 6 months I was able to hand off the hit and run case to my insurance so that they can do NOTHING.


The car has been in the shop for almost a week waiting for an appraisal, waiting for an estimate, waiting for parts... all of which take 24 hours each.  In the meantime I've gotten a little intimate with the LA Metro to get to and from work.

View from the metro station
It's possible - it just takes a city bus, express bus and metro lightrail.  One hour in the morning and 1.5 hours at night because the bus gets stuck in bumper to bumper traffic in downtown. I'm starting to prefer it over being stuck in traffic while driving.  I was especially happy when I figured out the fare system and the best method.  It's ridiculously confusing and for that, LA Metro offers a help line. $5 day pass is the best way to go for me.

Silver Line Harbor Freeway Stop
Instead of having a lightrail that goes along the 110, there is the Silver Line that uses the carpool lane.  The stop to transfer to the Green Line is under a major highway interchange.  I'm just waiting for one of the cars going 80 MPH to run into us.

18 Miles

I love telling people I take the metro at work and seeing their reaction.  I also feel like a city boy walking to stations at a brisk pace, checking work email on the bus and tapping my day pass to activate the turnstile.  Eat your heart out New York, Tokyo, London...  the patrons are work commuters many with eReaders and laptop bags.  Many MANY people use the Metro in LA to my pleasant surprise.



On public transit I day dream about digging a tunnel diagonally through the city so that I would only need to take ONE lightrail getting me there in 20 minutes.  My pandora is on The XX station to relax my mind.  The Green Line is elevated - there is a part where the rail curves and everyone is slanted against gravity... like a Disneyland ride.  Sort of.  The line goes alone the 105; I chuckle as we pass people stopped in traffic along the highway.  Then I curse people comfortably sitting in their cars in the evening when I'm shoulder to shoulder with strangers trying to keep balance on my third bus, frequently tapping my pockets to make sure nothing was taken.

Butterfly in the sky
===

I've upgrade to the iPhone 4S.  A fabulous gay boy at the AT&T store recommended buying it at BestBuy for $50!  Thanks for looking out for family!  Though tax was based on retail price (500) so it ended up being $100 anyway.  Do I love it?  Meh.  The camera was the main thing.  The battery life is terrible, the new maps of course is shit, and it's so fragile.  I bought a case immediately at Daiso for $1.50.  It's like carrying glass in your pocket.

Lots of face
Had an interesting conversation with the cashier at BestBuy about a protection plan for the phone.  "Are you sure do you don't want protection?"
"I'm okay without protection."
"Living on the edge, I like that."

I'm proud of myself for having the iPhone 3GS for 3 years!  Really took care of that phone to the very end, but now the vibrate sounds like farts, the volume button is gone and sometimes it shuts off.  Yeah - time for that upgrade.  Plus Alysia explained that I should always upgrade because that 2 year contract is so overpriced that I might as well get the subsidized phone to get my money's worth.  Interesting.  All this time, I thought was being smart by holding on to old technology.

==

2012 was the year of change for me - at least for my career.  My goal for 2012 was to get a better job and I accomplished that in August. 2012 is also the year that my body fell a part with painful heartburn and excruciating bowel movements.  Sadly I need to be more mindful of what I consume. UGH UGH UGH.

2013?  I don't know.  I have a laundry list of events I've missed last year that I must participate in.  I'm looking forward to an Indonesia trip with Jimmy in August.


2013 is Jimmy's year I predict.  He's inspired to workout and has developed a passion for finding awesome clothes at thrift stores and fixing them up.  For our anniversary I bought him a sewing kit and various buttons and thread.

$5 Jacket - What a find!
MM he looks so good.  Sometimes when I dress myself in the morning I talk to myself and say, "god, why can't you dress yourself?!"  I've text Mony some pictures of myself in a dressing room, "Yes or No."  Mony responds, "No, that looks like a woman's shirt."  I... don't know what's wrong with me.

===

I haven't normalized.  I don't really know what's going on in my mind.  A lot has confused me - old friends, parties, funerals, car problems, digestive problems.  I feel robotic.  I feel like though I have a lot to say, I'm not really saying anything.  I feel as though I'm just going through the motions, but my mind is somewhere else.

I think it's because I'm not thinking about the future - I'm just checking things off on my to do list and dealing with each issue that hits me at this very moment.  I'm complacent and I don't know what's next because what's now is really good.

I think I need to create a list of what's NOT good and work to improve on a long term scale... and shape my 2013 that way. Okay, here it goes.

- My body that feels heavy and tired
- My skin that scars
- My illiteracy
- My lack of relationship with my brother who just moved to SoCal and turned 21
- My poor financial investments - I don't have a 401K setup!

Okay, that's a great start.

2 comments:

mike said...

WOW. i believe you're the first person i heard mention the LA Metro. i have plenty of friends there but none of them - to my knowledge - take it. glad to hear that they do actually exist. :)

halfwhiteboy said...

sorry about the car. that really sucks. but anyway, i hope 2013 will still turn out to be a smashing year for you, man.

thanks for visiting my blog btw :)

http://halfwhiteboy.blogspot.com/