Sunday, June 24, 2012

Play Me, I'm Yours

After a birthday dim sum in Monterey Park, Jimmy and Sam discovered a public piano and decided to play.

During lunch at work, I also discovered a piano in front of food trucks begging to be played.

They were both a part of "Play Me, I'm Yours" art installation.

http://streetpianos.com/la2012/

"...within a city, there must be hundreds of these invisible communities, regularly spending time with one another in silence. Placing a piano into the space was my solution to this problem, acting as a catalyst for conversation and changing the dynamics of a space."
Luke Jerram, International artist and creator of ‘Play Me, I’m Yours’

Music has stopped pouring from my fingers.  There was a period where I could just place my hands on piano keys and some sort of melody would emerge.  There was also a time in my life where I thought I was a fair singer, but based on the cringing faces at karaoke bars and my own ears twitching during my "interpretations" I have concluded that the talent that I had (or thought I had) has completely escaped my body.

But unlike me, Jimmy is talented.  Jimmy can create. And this is one of my favorite things about him.


No comments: