Sunday, April 29, 2012

9 Ways Twentysomethings Screw Up Their Lives

After reading this article about how 20 somethings screw up their lives... I'm stressing a little more as my 27th birthday is coming up.

Twentysomethings are in almost constant communication with the same few people, but those who huddle together with like-minded peers limit themselves. New information and opportunities--and dates--come from e-mailing your aunt's neighbor or having coffee with that friend of a friend from college. The urban tribe is overrated. Twentysomethings who won't ask outsiders for advice and favors and invitations fall behind those who will.

I think this happens more when you're comfortable with your life situation.  You don't force yourself to talk and connect with new people because you're happy with the community that you built over the years.  On facebook, I made a friend list called, "LA Reconnect."  Which is composed of interesting people who were once really close to me, but lost touch because of life in general.  I really need to take advantage of casual meals and drinks to get fresh perspectives.  Though these folks are still "like-minded peers," they still offer something valuable.

"What would I do with my life if I won the lottery?" is about what you would do with your life if money and talent didn't matter. They do. The question twentysomethings really need to ask themselves is "What would I do with my life if I didn't win the lottery?" What do you do well enough to support the life you want and what do you enjoy enough that you won't mind working at it, in some form or another, for decades to come?

Jimmy said he never daydreamed about acquiring a large sum of money he didn't earn.  It was just something he didn't think about.  I guess with the probability being against us with every lotto ticket we buy, it's a waste of time to even pretend.  But it doesn't hurt to just think about it once in a while right? It makes me think about my career and a lost opportunity to make 50% more than what I'm currently making... is it really about the money?  It is!  You work to make money to do things that make you happy unless you're lucky enough to work on something that makes you happy - in this case you're never really working at all.  Lucky bastards.

Just some Sunday thoughts.  Other points this article had I didn't have an issue with.
I can't believe this exists: http://www.ehow.com/way_5266881_th-birthday-party-ideas.html

No comments: