Saturday, July 25, 2009

Thanks to Michelle...

She's a fighter.

My cousin, Michelle passed away this morning. You're never prepared to hear such news, but in a sense Michelle's friends and family knew that it was just a matter of time.

I am ashamed to say that I didn't do much for her. The last thing that I said to her was how excited I was to finally get an interview, but I don't think I ever told her that I moved to LA and started a new life. When I talked to her I didn't want to ask her how she was doing because I was positive she was tired of being asked the same questions.

She was there for me last year when I was having a hard time. She looked over my resume, sent me some contacts gave me so many priceless words of encouragement...

She told me that my blog was one that she read religiously. She told me that I provided her great entertainment while she was trying to recover. I can hear her voice right now, talking to me and giving my life...value.

Thanks to Project Michelle, 4 people from the bay area donated their stem cells. One of which was MoAny. By donating to a stranger, he donated to Michelle....

When I heard the news of her death, I didn't react. I was in Thai Town having lunch... Michelle was half Thai. I remember a year ago she was upset that I didn't invite her to go to Thai new years.

Last month she got news that she had 4-6 weeks to live and she turned to Eastern medicine for a last resort. The news didn't keep her from celebrating her 27th birthday that was themed: I Love the 90s

Taken from her blog, "... although we understand the position we’re in today, we remain hopeful. There are so many success stories walking in and out of our herbalist’s center every day. It’s absolutely amazing. We hope we’re the next ones. With this in mind, we’ve been able to stay remarkably light-hearted. We cry a lot but we laugh more."

She will always remind me not to be afraid of living. That there are people who have no choice BUT to stay at home. That there are places to explore and things to learn about and living with your mind closed, is not living at all. Only 27 years old and she has already touched so many people.

I will keep you close to my heart. Thank you Michelle... I love you so much.
http://projectmichelle.com/blog/

4 comments:

moAny said...

sigh. =( aw. im sad now. i am misty eyed.

Will said...

Thank you for sharing her story.

Alex C. said...

This is such a touching blog entry. My prayers are with you and your family.

~A

thwany said...

so sad. my condolences.