Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Prop 8 Convo with My Mom

"I'm not prejudice, but Marriage should be between a man and a woman. To me, God created man and woman blah blah blah ignorance blah blah more ignorance blah blah." (That's like saying, I'm a Vegetarian, but I sure love veal!)

"It's about equality, mom" my voice got loud.

"I know it's a sensitive issue. Maybe it's my generation. But it's difficult for me to see same sex couples get married. I mean, they can be best friends... but to get married? It's only in the US that they would even think to allow.."

"no mom, in some countries in Europe and Canada, same sex marriages are recognized."

"Really? well, I didn't vote anyway, I was busy watching Korean dramas and politics has been pissing me off lately.

Perfect.

==

In the end she said she's trying to understand... that's all I can really ask for.

4 comments:

Alex C. said...

Boo!

CUT SLEEVE BOY said...

blah i know how that is. my parents aren't even religious but they're views on marriage are still traditional and conservative. hopefully that'll change when i come out to them!

Dahveed said...

sounds like conversation i had with my mom... =(

moocaltrain said...

Exactly the conversation i had with my mom about prop 8. Out of anger she told me that i should be single for the rest of my life than marry another man. It hurt a lot. I stood in the corner of the other room with tears running down my face. My mother said that she rather i be lonely for the rest of my life. I've always thought my mom would be more understanding than my dad, but no... Never in a million years would i thought my dad would be more on my side on this issue. Ironic. Lets chit chat about this sometime.