Friday, October 17, 2008

Curry

When my grandma passed away in 2006, it didn't affect me as much as I thought it would. I never dreamt about her and I only cried for her at the funeral.


But being here, spending time with her sister's family and her brother's family made me realize how much I missed her.

"Your grandma was the BEST cook." She was, every dish she made was beyond delicious.

She had a tough life, she sent her 17 year old daughter to the states to find a better life, not knowing what would happen to her. 10 Years later, she was reunited and left Vietnam to be with her daughter and help raise her grandchildren: me and my brother.

How alienated she must have felt in California. She never asked to return to Vietnam because even though her silblings were in Asia, her daughter was in the US.

She took care of me. A lot and I never really showed enough appreciation. When do we?

Last night, my aunt, my grandma's neice cooked curry for the death aniversary of my great grandma, my grandma's mom. The curry was an amazing copy of what my grandma used to cook for me when I was growing up.

It's impossible to forget your roots when you're surrounded by your family's history. My parents told me my grandma's spirit followed me to Vietnam. I believe it. I believe it more every minute I spend time with her family that left to be with me.

God, this curry is delicious.


No comments: