Saturday, September 15, 2007

Life is Short

I drove by Mr. Santamoore's house and thought about the conversation I had with his wife about the history of the court. I haven't seen him in a while and wondered if he was okay. I saw an unfamiliar truck in front of his house and thought how horrible it would be if he passed away.

As I came home from getting a snack, my dad told me that he just got a call from our neighbors. This morning what I worried about was true. I remembered when I was in high school he would pay me 5 dollars to get his mail when he went on vacation. Every morning for a very long time he would put up the American flag in a slot by his garage door. And every night he would take it down.

My family stopped by to pay condolences and I visited after. Ms. Santamoore was in good spirits. She said he was 91 and passed away quickly. There were no tears in her eyes, rather gratefulness for our presence. Her son had been with her all day and at night he left her to be alone, probably for the first time in a long time. That made me sad. Once again I thought about my grandpa at his apartment alone. He prefers it that way. I looked at the pictures on Ms. Santamoore's walls. She had black and white pictures/portraits of her family. One was of her grandfather who was born in the 1850s. I can't even fathom how much of history lesson she could give me that would more valuable than a class.

I thought: 91? That's such a short period of time, but it's longer than most people in this world. My aunt's cancer came back at a level 4. My cousin's 24 year old girlfriend contracted leukemia. My other Aunt needs a pacemaker. My mom took off a week because her back pain prevented her from moving normally. It's just not a good year.

I need to do something amazing before I die and I should visit my grandpa and Ms. Santamoore

No comments: